Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cable knit tableware

I've really been interested in ceramics with texture lately. I love the idea of creating an object that in reality is hard and unyielding, but visually appears to be soft and cozy. I've seen some really interesting things made from lace impressions on plates, and cups etc, but I wanted to try something that was actually cast from fabric itself. To get the most texture I could in the mold, I chose to use a cable knit sweater that I cut and sewed and wrapped around a bowl or cup form. Here's a process image of the mold being made - I warn you, it's not too pretty, as the only sweater I could find was bright hot pink! Either way, in the end I am very happy with the results!



Here are some other textured ceramic items that I really like and find inspiring.

This is from a NY ceramicist, Hidemi



There are so many amazing textured objects in Wapa studio


3 comments:

  1. yeah, keep it coming lady. I need to be inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you checked out Alyssa Ettinger's work 'knitware'? or Annette Bugansky's 'Cable Knit tableware'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you stiff your fabric around the object and then do you make a mold from just that?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...