Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spotless tea set: a design for the germaphobic



This project originally started as part of my senior thesis in college on how to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in the home, through the use of therapeutic products integrating exposure therapy principals. For example, if you were germaphobic, the idea of using a cup and saucer with lipstick stains and dirty fingerprint would probably creep you out, right? But through repeated use of this cup and saucer, one may become desensitized to the anxiety, and eventually get over their fear of contamination. As time has passed, I realized that this project had more applications than just the therapeutic realm. It has morphed into something funny and unique that could really appeal to anyone, not just those with OCD. What do you think? Does the thought of pouring tea and milk through a spout that was cast from an actual human mouth make you giggle or gross you out? I think the former, and that is why I am currently making more of these tea sets in my ceramic studio today. They are currently available for purchase on etsy.

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome. And kind of freaky. I'm not sure I could actually use the cups, but the pitcher would be bad ass!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...